Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Forbidden Chile

We recently went to Virginia for four days to visit my brother-in-law and his wife (does that make her my sister-in-law?  It's so confusing!).  We had so much fun and did so much I could never fully summarize in a readable post.  ha!  My favorite part of the trip, I think, was visiting Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's house.  The country side was beautiful and the garden and orchard area are still in  use, although much scaled back from the 5,000 acre plantation that it once was.  I apparently did an Eve impression while we were perusing the garden though.  We came across a plant called Texas red bird peppers.  Well being from New Mexico and growing up eating hot chilies I thought any pepper from Texas surely couldn't be that hot.  So, I asked my husband if he would eat half if I hate half.  He reluctantly agreed so I picked the pepper, took a bite and handed the other half to him.  What I failed to realize between the time that I took a bite and then handed it to my husband was that this pepper was incredibly hot and the entire berry sized pepper was completely full of seeds (which is the hottest part of any chile)!  I quickly spit it out and then my breath was taken away as my eyes watered uncontrollably.  Once I could see through my pain I looked at my husband who was doing the same thing.  About 30 minutes later the burn had stopped, but it did sort of ruin the rest of the beautiful vegetable garden.  I thought it was pretty funny, but I wonder what this speaks of my character.  I guess I am still prone to the same sin as Eve, it was a bit of a humbling experience.  I always give Eve a hard time, but I guess I wouldn't have been much better except my forbidden fruit is a chile.  :)

1 comment:

Chelf said...

I found you because of Heavenly Homemakers. I am also from NM. My family is still in Farmington.

I think that the in-law's spouse is probably "in-law once removed". LOL. I don't know. I always wondered that for myself. My husband's sister's husband is exactly what to me? I just say Brother-in-law, and don't worry about it. :0)