Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Beef, It's what's for dinner!

I am so excited that while we were gone to Kansas, our meat arrived!  Not just any ole meat, mind you--free range, hormone free, antibiotic free, straight from the good ole state of New Mexico meat.  My parents and I bought a half of a cow.  :)  Now we probably paid way more than you would in a store (about $7 a pound), but when you factor in that we are getting a wide range of cuts of meat for that price and that similar types of meat sell for $5 in the grocery store, but you can only get ground meat that way, then I'd say in the long run we saved money.  Besides the fact that I really need red meat for my anemia issues, I believe strongly that all of the hormones pumped into our food is really negatively affecting our society--especially children who are most susceptible.  Ever wonder why girls are starting puberty younger and younger?  What about the boys?  And why are so many more couples having a hard time conceiving?  While I believe there are many factors to this issue, I think a major factor is the amount of hormones pumped into our bodies everyday by our beef, chicken, milk, eggs, turkey, etc.  Having this abundance has got to put serious strain on our bodies ability to effectively regulate our hormones. 

So, in the long run, I'm glad to be paying a little more money for some quality meat that I know is nourishing my  family.  

By the way, if anyone is interested I bought our meat from Ranney Ranch in Corona, NM.  Or, you could check out the Eat Wild website to find some local grass fed beef in your area.  I believe that is how I found my local-ish meat as well.  The website also has great information on why eating grass fed beef is so much better for you.

2 comments:

Soul Level said...

True about the hormones. Sarah recently read "Skinny Bitch's..." something or other. It turned her into a vegan! I've been along for the ride, but still get meat when I feel like it. Turns out to be not at all that often.

austen_n_burney said...

I've never read the book, but it sounds interesting. When I was young my grandparents had a 1200 acre ranch where they raised cattle naturally. Ever since having that meat I don't think I could give it up and I think raising it that way and purchasing meat raised that way is super important. Have either of you ever read the book "Nourishing Traditions"? It changed the way I view a lot of food, but gave really interesting, scientific facts that I appreciated about all food including meat. Thanks for commenting.